750 grams lean mince
1 cup grated cheese
1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs, optional
1 onion, finely chopped
2 slices wholegrain bread, made into crumbs
1/2 cup tomato or BBQ sauce
1 bag green salad mix
1 tin sliced beetroot, drained
3 carrots, grated
1 small red onion, finely sliced
2 tomatoes, sliced
8 hamburger buns, look for wholegrain buns
- In a large bowl, mix mince, cheese, herbs, onion, egg, breadcrumbs and sauce.
- Make into 8 even-sized hamburger patties.
- Spray a non-stick pan with a little cooking oil.
- Cook hamburgers in the pan for about 7 minutes on each side until cooked (burgers are cooked when juices run clear and they are no longer pink in the middle). Cook on a moderate heat so they don't burn on the outside before they cook on the inside.
- Serve burgers on toasted hamburger buns with salad, grated carrot, onion rings and sliced beetroot.