Bacon Hock Soup
If you need a winter warmer, this is it! A delicious recipe supplied by NZ Pork.
View the method
- 1 large smoked bacon hock
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 cups water
- 2 bay leaves, 4 cloves and 8 peppercorns
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 8 medium waxy potatoes, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 400g can chick peas in brine, drained (optional)
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- Fresh parsley leaves, chopped
Back to ingredients
- Place the hock in a large saucepan and cover with stock and water. (Add extra water to cover hock if needed)
- Add bay leaves, cloves and peppercorns.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 1.5 hours.
- Remove the hock and set aside. Save the stock.
- In a second large saucepan, heat the oil and brown the onions.
- Stir in the potatoes and carrot. Strain in the saved stock.
- Peel the bacon hock, remove all meat, dice and add to pot.
- Bring to the boil, add lid and simmer until potatoes just cooked.
- Stir in the chickpeas and green peas and when heated through add the chopped parsley.
Photo copyright NZ Pork