Butter Chicken Pies
A delicious fusion of a Kiwi classic and an Indian favourite.
View the method
- 500g chicken boneless thighs, skin removed, cut into 1-2 cm pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 535g can Wattie's Just Add Butter Chicken Simmer Sauce
- Handful fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 6 sheets ready rolled flaky puff pastry, thawed (or 1 ½ x 400g blocks flaky puff pastry)
- 1 egg, beaten
Back to ingredients
- Heat a dash of oil in a frying pan. Add the chicken and over a high heat cook until it starts to colour.
- Reduce the heat. Add the onion and garlic to the pan, adding a little extra oil if necessary and cook until the onion begins to soften. Add the cumin, coriander and tomato paste, stir and cook for a further minute. Pour over Wattie's Just Add Butter Chicken Simmer Sauce. Allow the sauce to come to the boil. Reduce heat. Simmer for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked and sauce reduced by a third. Remove from the heat. Stir through chopped coriander and allow to cool. Refrigerate until cold.
- Grease 6 extra large muffin tins. Using a 16cm plate as a guide, cut 6 circles out of the pastry sheets. Using a saucer (approx. 10cm in diameter) cut another 6 circles out for the pie tops, re-rolling the pastry as necessary.
- Carefully push the larger pastry circles into the muffin tins. Divide the cold butter chicken mixture between the pastry cases. Brush a little cold water around the pastry rims and place the smaller pastry circles on top, pressing to seal the edges. Cut a small hole in the top of the pastry. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C fan bake or 210°C conventional bake. Brush pastry tops with a little beaten egg before baking for 25-30 minutes, until pastry is golden and filling hot. Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 5 minutes before removing from the tins.
For more tasty recipes, visit foodinaminute.co.nz