Tips and ideas
- A whole chicken is usually cheaper to buy, but chicken pieces do save time.
- Boneless chicken is expensive but you're not paying for bones. Leave the boneless for the specials.
- Servings of chicken don't have to be large. Make sure there is plenty of potatoes, rice or pasta.
- Save chicken bones and chicken skin to make stock.
- Look for frozen chickens on special and stock up.
- Left-over chicken can be used in sandwiches, on pizzas, pasta sauces, stir fry, quiches, hamburgers, fried rice and in many other ways.
Chicken makes great 'leftovers' for the next day:
- Sandwiches for lunches
- Stir-fry: tear cooked chicken into pieces and add to a stir-fry near the end of cooking but make sure the chicken is heated well.
- Pasta sauce: add cooked chicken pieces to a pasta sauce. Serve with pasta.
- Pizza: Spread tomato puree on a pizza base and sprinkle with shredded chicken pieces with your favourite pizza toppings.